Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 makes me cry

tm8

I watched episode 5 of this amazing series yesterday and it had me in tears.  What makes Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 unique is how human it is.

The story behind Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is an earthquake hits Tokyo that measured 8.0 on the Richter scales.  It follows the siblings Mirai and Yuki who were at a robot exhibition in Odaiba when it hit.  A female motorcycle courier named Mari is helping Mirai and Yuki get to there parents house after the earthquake happens.

Another interesting fact about Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is they ran simulations to make the earthquake in this series as realistic as possible.

Okay now back to the purpose of this post.  In episode 5 Mirai see’s one of her classmate crying over her mother who was killed during the earthquake.  She also meets an elder couple who lost their grandchildren who came to visit them during the earthquake but died because of it.  Death is a very hard thing to deal with in any circumstance.  I admit that I deal with death very badly.  The emotion within this episode were very well done and how realistic the characters deal with all these hardships is just amazing.  I must give mad props to the voice actors who make these characters so human.

Has an anime made you cry before or feel a deep emotion?

Advertisements

9 responses to “Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 makes me cry

1. Sangu November 23, 2009 at 9:32 am

Sounds interesting. I never watch enough Anime as I never was introduced and I couldn’t very well get excited over shows like “Inuyasha” or “Naruto”. Easily annoying fan girl shows. Even though Naruto supposedly is much better in the non English version.

I guess the only thing I ever cried or felt pain for was Princess Mononoke when the Boar god was lead astray by man, or when they lobbed the head off of the Forest god and everything started to die.

I guess in the was you don’t take death in people well I don’t take well to animals, or nature being harmed.

2. cneoryu November 24, 2009 at 7:13 am

Sangu!!!
    The reason I’m such an avid Anime watcher is because lots of them have so much emotion to them unlike most American cartoons. Shows like the 2 you mentioned have episodes that can make you tear up on occasion. An Anime with a lot of heart and emotion is One Piece.

Oh yes Princess Mononoke was very sad such a great film.

I actually get saddened when people and animals it Just depends.

• Sangu December 11, 2009 at 10:39 am

My old buddy used to love one piece and something about it couldn’t get me into it. Perhaps the animation was a bit awkward to my viewing I’m sure.

I guess in a world of plain and surface bullshit for shows, anime would stand out. It’s hard to find things worth watching these days.

3. Hevaklove February 23, 2010 at 8:12 am

I must say…i just finished the whole series (11 eps) and i gotta admit, i cried! im a 23y old guy here, crying over some “emo” anime – kinda ridiculous i know, but the reason i felt like that is because i just pictured this whole anime as in “REAL LIFE happening” and that shit made my tears drop. And i must say, Yuuki character was great! The voice, the look on the character, the clothes, the backpack EVERYTHING!

Ive been watchin alots of animes, but this one is really the first one who pushed my “emo” button 🙂 I hope i never will experience something like that in real life, neither do i think any human being on this planet does. No one deserves that pain.

• -[r4ndom]- March 7, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Don’t feel bad, man. I’m 23 and I failed at holding my tears too.
      It’s such an emotive anime and having those earthquakes in Haiti and Chile it’s even harder to sit in front of the tv feelingless 😦
      To much pain

4. cneoryu February 23, 2010 at 8:43 am

Yeah same with me, the fact that it is something that can actually happen made it even more emotional. I will admit I’ve cried at many other animes. I guess I just grow an attachment to the characters or something.

In Ghost in the Shell: SAC there was an episode where this old lady tells Major Motoko Kusanagi a story. The story is technically Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, this little boy and girl share a hospital room. The boy slowly makes the little girl paper cranes. A thousand papers supposedly get you one wish. Fuzzy on how the story ended in GitS Well the reason I bring this up is because the music that played during it made it even more emotional. Many anime soundtracks even make it harder to not cry.

5. Alyssa March 29, 2010 at 11:27 pm

i just finished the whole series and it did make me cry more than anything else i have watched. and i thought clannad was the saddest, now it changed to tokyo magnitude 8.0. my eyes are really red that its scary but nonetheless it is one or the best animes ever.

6. Stan April 27, 2010 at 1:59 am

this anime left me with a lump in my throat from the beginning to the end, and most of the shows that i watch don’t have that type of deep human emotion added to it.